Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What Becomes of Them?

Even before I had the chance to see it myself, I was given a link by a friend to the CBC website to read an article. Click here to read the article. It has been over 2 years since the news first broke out. It was on every news channel, newspaper, and common discussions in Canada (and perhaps also in some other few countries where they'd know Srilanka existed). It had all the ingredients to make it the top story of the time. Educated immigrants, technology savvy youth, FBI undercover operation, banned terrorists, weapon smuggling. This is what news are made of. Then, within months, people stopped. People stopped asking questions, stopped wondering whatever happened to these men. And the truth is, people stopped caring because it wasn't their brother, father, or boyfriend. Like I said, it's always easiest to be a bystander than to raise your voice.

Unfortunately, they are back in the news. Two of the four, Sathajhan Sarachandran and Nadarasa Yogarasa, accused and detained in New York for aiding and funding the Tamil tigers. Both have now plead guilty to the numerous terrorist charges against them. Why they decided to do so? I don't know. What will become of the other 2 who are going ahead with their trial? I don't know. I don't have many of the answers, but I will ask one more question, will they be considered ordinary men who answered their extraordinary callings? you tell me!

No comments: