Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Grand Opening - Walmart

If you haven't heard already, the mysterious building that was being constructed near Markham & Steels is Walmart and it's OPEN! Actually the official grand opening is scheduled for this Wednesday January 21st, 2009. But like I said, the supposed supercentre is already open for the early birds. My dad visited the store last night and said there were approximately 150 cars in the parking lot and a lot more people inside. The setup of the store is very similar to the Supercenter Walmart in Stouffville. And rumor is, two employees for each cashier desk ?! But I have yet to take a visit. However, I can tell you now that I am very excited about this opening as this will be the closest Walmart to my house. I don't know about you, but I like Walmart and enjoy strolling through Walmart. But I will stop here 'cause when you have a brother-in-law that likes to slander Walmart and it's power to wipe out local retail chains, I have to be careful about what I write.

It's not that I like Walmart 'cause I'm cheap (okay I am, but that's despite the point). I like Walmart 'cause it's cheap. And it drives other major competition to lower their prices too (yes, I am aware of China thanks to my brother-in-law)! Nevertheless, think about it, would Loblaws be the Loblaws it is today if it wasn't for Walmart? I would love to support Loblaws more, but they don't have the same wide range of suppliers as Walmart offers. Until then, you can still find me strolling along in Walmart. Oh...don't forget to visit opening day, loads of goodies on sale I hear.

No comments: