Monday, February 2, 2009

Speak up, and You Will be Heard

Mahatma Gandhi once said "You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result". How true those words ring true even today. Like I said, and anyone reading my blog would understand, I had been immensely confused as to my part as a Tamil Srilankan amidst everything that's been going wrong in Srilanka. I was one of the few fortunate ones, not to have had any direct grievances from either the Srilankan government OR the Tamil Tigers. And, I realize this is not the case for many other people, especially the generation before us, our parents and grandparents, who left Srilanka only after witnessing the atrocities from both sides. I also know, that while I was fleeted off to Germany at a young age, there were thousands of more children who stayed behind and ultimately faced the wrath of the Tigers or the Srilankan government, and sometimes, both.

Now, fast forward 20 years, and I am once again living among those children here in Canada, of course, today they are grown adults. Every one of them have their own legitimate and equally compelling reasons as to why they support the Tigers, and despise the Srilankan government, or, in some cases, fervently loathe both sides. I can not and will not argue with them, or even try to prentend to understand them, because I know that will be a slippery slope. Like I said, they have their reasons, and all the while I am dismally struggling to find mine. You would think that being impartial towards both sides (I know I'm Tamil, but I like to think that my education and compassion towards life itself will allow me to look past that) gives me the edge that one needs in accessing such situation objectively, but boy were you wrong. There is way too much information, and sadly, all available information is fuelled by hate and prejudice. And again, I was left alone to determine my loyalty.

As I was pondering my intentions, that's when news from back home had become impossible to ignore. That day I wrote my first blog about my feelings toward the situation, feeling helpless and ignorant at the same while, I knew I had to write. The following day, I heard the young man (whose name I still don't know) talk about the protest outside the Srilankan consulate on CMR 101.3 FM, that's when I knew I had to do something. At the least, I had to start reading on the subject. And that's what essentially prompted me to attend the mass Human chain protest in downtown Toronto on Friday. Frankly, I didn't go there because I wanted the Srilankan government to retreat. And I didn't go their to chant about LTTE either. Heck I didn't even go there to denounce the Srilankan government. But I knew one thing will be certain. Taking part in the rally will show solidarity and commitment among the Tamils. I also knew that every single person at the rally had their own reasons to be there that day braving the bitter cold weather. Whatever their reasons were, I know one single reason prevailed all others. And that was to bring a voice for the innocent people of Eelam.
                                                                                                             

Though the road ahead seems troubled, I am genuinely appreciative and much respectful of the volunteers who organized this momentous event, and who continue to tirelessly to do many more. WHATEVER any one's reason was for taking part that day, and regardless of the little annoyances we may have caused the commuters that night, it goes without saying YOU HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE. And how do I know this you ask? ...when the war in Srilanka intensified beginning of this week, I failed to find a single decent news coverage from the media. Even when I did, it only left me feeling distressed to say the least. However, since the beginning of the protests in and around the city, every single news media covers the Srilankan war in some form or another. If you don't believe me? ...well you really should, 'cause I wouldn't lie, but just in case you don't, check out today's (01/02/09) Toronto Star, Citynews, and CBC's web portal, I didn't even have to go further than the front page to get coverage of our war. Except for CTV though, grrrrrr.

And as for Gandhi....he was right. Again!

No comments: