Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why You Should Watch Poo!

Here is the challenge. I'm going to try to get you to watch a tamil movie called 'Poo' (flower) by the time you finish reading this post. Most likely I will fail to get everyone reading to watch it, but if only one person decides to watch it, I would surely pat my back. If you are like me, you like tamil movies. Period. Yes there are plenty of pitiful story lines, ever more pathetic heroes and condemnable logic in all fight scenes, but at the end of the day, tamil movies are still greattttttt. It's only natural that I like tamil movies. I grew up watching all of them, singing their songs and not to mention that it always brought my family together in one room. It's the tamil movie industry that gave us Varusham 16, Mouna Ragam, Thalapathy, Sethu, 16 Vayathiniale, Manathil Urudhi Vendum, Bombay, Mahanathy and Chinna Thambi. All of which I highly recommend by the way, and which you should definitely watch at one point in time. And of course, there are hundreds more that I can not possibly list. Hey wait a minute...that gives me an idea. I think I will begin to add a segment to my blog where I'd recommend older tamil movies. Kind of like a service by a tamil movie enthusiast (me) for the inevitably insensible canadian-tamil youth of tomorrow. lol. But it's true. I don't think the tamil kids of today (by kids I mean anyone younger than 23 like my brother) will appreciate or fathom older movies like we did. Yes my brother likes Thalapahty, but are they for the same reasons as mine? I highly doubt it. But one thing is for sure. Earlier movies all had meaningful, competent and engaging storylines, something that is rarely seen or encouraged in today's movies. Going back to my topic, so why should you watch Poo? It has a story. And if you have ever loved someone completely, yet with the innocence and possibility of childhood you would appreciate this movie ten fold over.

I will take careful steps not to spoil the movie if you read on...promise! The main character, Maree has always, as far back as she can remember, been heads over heels in love with her uncle's son, Thangarasu. Like a typical village belle, Maree is not educated, and spends her days working at a firecracker factory in their village, while Thangarasu goes onto finish engineering at an out of town university. Maree's longing to be with Thangarasu, and Thangarasu's inability to amount to his dad's expectation is the crux of the movie. Obvious differences and similarities between both characters' hopes and dreams are etched beautifully within the backgrounds of an eventual cultivation of true love. But from the first 10 minutes of the movie, you'd realize this is not your typical movie, nor your typical ending. This movie is simple, beautiful and straight to the point. No unnecessary comedy (the little comedy it has was actually funny here), no one man army fights, and not even lavish dance sequences. This is as uncomplicated and enjoyable a tamil love story can get at this time and age. Perhaps gone are those days of Mounna Raagam, but yet through movies like Poo we can certainly capture some of that magic. This is definitely a movie for the hopeless romantics in all of us, because sometimes being able to love someone completely is a gift on its own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!