Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Public Service by John Moore

If John Moore, a white Canadian and a radio host at Newstalk 1010 CFRB from Toronto, can do a public service for the Tamil people, I think I can definitely do my little part too. I know most of us were notified of his pending discussion on our war, but how many really got the chance to listen to the brief, yet far-reaching broadcast? I am not sure, but I listened and also had it recorded it on an audio cassette. Lol, I can't even remember the last time I used a cassette player!The next day I tried to search for the broadcast online, so I can e-mail it to family and friends, but to no avail. Maybe my attempt was weak, in which case, if anyone reading this has an audio file of that particular show, please email me! Thank you!

The point was, I was naturally captivated by the show, but more so of the person behind the microphone. I didn't know there was a John Moore from CFRB prior to this show. Actually, I didn't know any John Moore! I didn't listen to CFRB, I only listened to 680 News and AM640 during my morning drives. But that has definitely changed now. Since the show aired last Thursday, I am slowly becoming an avid fan of their radio station. Any show discussing the war in our land has definite credibility, but it's candor towards Tamils should be heard by everyone. John Moore was right to have done this. I wish we had more people with character like him, and who can also speak like him, because it's his manner and tone of speech that made every sentence stand out on its own right. But the truth is, not many people in our Tamil community can be neutral to the situation in Srilanka. So I'm glad that a person like Moore, somehow someway, thought that he should speak his mind.

'...I do this as a public service' - John Moore, Newstalk CFRB 1010

John's public service was to the Canadian population. He wanted to educate the general public to the issues faced by Tamils in Srilanka. He did this by giving a brief history of Srilanka, some facts about the war, and a well presented parallel of our war to the Israel-Palestinian war. To be sure, I am not saying he supported the Tamil Tigers. Actually, at the beginning I was rather afraid of his attitude and his standoffish disposition, and thought he might in fact end up patronizing the Tamils. Yet, all this, combined with his discourse, ended up making the program a bona fide attempt at truth. Here is my public service to the tamil people. For those that unfortunately (yes it is unfortunate) missed his discussion, I have decided to transcribe his show in written format. I will write it to the best of it's originality, and just so you know, it is very time consuming, so I will have to break it up into 2 parts. If I am taking my time to write it, I kindly ask you to take yours to read it...

No comments: