Wednesday, June 30, 2010

An Open Letter to

VijayTv's Univercell Vijay Awards! 2010

Dear VijayTv.

My name is Shalini Murugiah from Canada and I love Tamil movies (and India, southIndia that is). My fascination of India and its Tamil people comes directly from Tamil movies. Yes, I am fully aware it could be distorted. I don't know which the real India is. Is it the NanKadvul India, or is it the Varusham 16 India. Maybe it's the Chennai 28 India. But most probably it's the Angedi Theru India. I really wish it was the Varusham 16 India though. Whatever India it might be, I am still fascinated and have regrets of not being born a Tamilnadu Indian. Of course it would have had to be a Chennai, Tamilnadu upper class (by that I mean wealthy) Indian who is the love interest of Sivakarthikeyan from VijayTv (ha). Well, this is not important to my letter anyways. Just wanted you to have a general idea of who I am (and who I might have wanted to be).

I guess you can call me an ardent fan of your television channel. Only last month did my household decide to pay for regular service through Rogers (I hate Rogers by the way. They're our cable service providers. Just thought you might want to know.) Up until that point we had bought dvd's from our local Priya's Sumpermarket in Markham and regularly watched SuperSinger, SuperSingerJunior, BoysVsGirls I and II, KanakanumKagalangal, and PalleekattuPatanam. We have and continue to enjoy many of the shows you have produced over the years, occasionally complaining about shabby quality and even worse hosting (or compere as you'd like to call it there) by some of your talents  but liking it very much nonetheless.

Recently, well just this Monday and Tuesday, I've had the privilege of watching Vijay Awards 2010. Or should I say Univercell Vijay Awards 2010 as you are very keen and persistent on mentioning your loyal sponsors repetitively. This show has been something your channel was advertising (as every other show on your channel, another letter for another time) for the last month or so. The internet was already abuzz with the winners of this award long before, so I was already in the know. It wasn't a surprise when the winners came up. Like I said earlier, it was still a privilege watching the show as it was new and exciting for Tamil television. It was well organized and well executed. And did I mention I love Gopinath? Not in the Sivakarthikeyan way, but in a ' oh my --- he is so talented' kinda way. It was a splendid show, and treat to the eyes to see all the actors under one roof. I just wish Ajith/Shalini, Rajini, Vikram, Trisha, Shreya, Asin, Nadiya, Radhika, Jeeva, Karthik, Maniratnam, Simbu, Nayanthara, Prabudeva, Dhanush had all come. Oh well, I'm sure you would have invited them. They probably declined due to their busy schedule. Maybe next year? Papom eh?

So here is where I start picking the bones. It's an expression used in the western world just in case you didn't know. I really really believe you have a good thing here. Having grown up watching the Oscars and Emmy's it's only natural my expectations are high. But I do strongly believe you can meet these expectations next year. Therefore I put forward some very constructive criticisms. Hopefully, you will be open minded to accept them. It's only for your good.

So here are my suggestions.

1. Please invest in air-conditioning. Or find a venue where there is air-conditioning. It was unbearable to watch the stars sweating, and wiping their foreheads with their handkerchief. If you can spend thousands of rupees to put on a show, at least show some class. It looks very very very 'padikadu' to see people sweating in litres. The ladies were sorta fine. I believe they had waterproof makeup. But the guys --- no no. Please do something.

2. Have a formal dress-code? The only item missing from the wardrobe department is the 'lungi' or 'saram as we'd say. You guys there have access to television right? You've watched the Oscars right? I know it's not fair to ask our stars to be dressed by the top designers like Channel, Dolce&Gabbana or even Gucci. But they don't even have to. Just wear a damn tuxedo that is for once fitted! And ladies, if the dresses aren't working for you, just wear a beautiful saree. An example of elegance and class at this function was Sneha. She was just radiating and so beautiful in her yellow saree. Please seek her advise.

3. Gopinath -- this is a personal message to you. I do love you. I think you are so damn witty, and I simply love your articulation and speeches. Yet, I have to say this. I hope you accept it with an open heart. When you dress in a suit wearing a shirt underneath is great and all. But please PLEASE keep the collar inside the coat. DO NOT in any circumstance bring it over your coat. That is so 1998! You will look that much sharper if you just make it a point to keep it inside your coat. I promise. I remember in an interview a few years back when Suriya had said his fans had advised him to leave his shirt out more often. Due to him being short, tugging in the shirt just emphasized this even more he said. And he actually took their advise. I hope you will take this advise from this unknown fan half way across the world.

4. VijayTv --- back to you again --- decorate the seating area as nicely as the stage. Perhaps hire an event coordinator? someone familiar with decor? Start with nice tableclothes, and chaircovers. And don't forget beautiful centerpieces. Maybe have better lighting. I know you probably rented the biggest open arena there is in Tamilnadu, so you can make the most for your bucks, but come on..... Setting a standard and being classy speaks much more volume. If you want to make VijayAwards a serious business, and earn prestige, spend some money on these areas. And while you are at it, please ask that all men get a neat haircut and groom themselves before they come. What's with the unkempt beard? and mushroom hair? I'm no hater for facial hair, in fact, I strongly believe that's what can make or break a man. So I do embrace facial hair, just not the dirty ones. Quick question....do they have styling gel in India? I hope so.

5. What's with the editing of the show? Why not show the actual nominees during the announcing of their nominations. Maybe this is not your problem. But I would still like to know still. How come most of the actors, directors, produces look so angry? It's as though you have forced them to come. I find that very appalling. How rude. Is it because you guys are catching these guys at the wrong time on video? Why not catch them on their lighter moments, when they are actually smiling, laughing or interacting with one another. Again, Sneha was good in this department. So was Arya.

6. Oh, not to forget your backgroun dancers. Why do you insist the male dancer's outfits are made with the silkiest material? This does not make good television. Please pay for better fabric and make them good outfits. They are great dancers, make them look good too!

7. For now this is the last......when you invite guests to come announce the nominees and winners, ask them to walk with each other. The worst example for this was when Meenakshi and some comedian guy (dont know his name) walked on to the stage to present the best comedy award. I know guys in India are generally not chivalrous but to see it being played out so blatantly on screen. URGH! the humanity of it was just unbearable. Was he so shy? that he must walk 3 meteres in front of her? I dont know. But do something.

All in all, just take a good look at next years Oscars. I'm sure you can afford satellite television. Here is my idea. Hire some 10 people to watch all the Oscar Awards Ceremony since 1990 and get them to to pay attention to the details. It's ALL in the details my friends. Hope to see my suggestions implemented in 2011.

Goodluck & A'npudan
Shalini Murugiah



2 comments:

Agni said...

Chennai 28 is the closest to the "regular" India that you can see. Varusham 16 India is also there in the rural areas; and Angadi theru India is also there in the city streets. Why don't you visit India once? :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing! So I spent the past couple of hours reading your blogs, and I gotta say, I loved reading it! You are a really good writer and I hope you keep it up! I really think you should think about writing something and publishing it in the distant future.
I especially loved the Vijay TV letter...so true! I LOL'd :) Speaking of award shows, since I have so much time on my hands now, I've been keeping up to date with movies so watch out for Oscars this year!:p