Friday, August 28, 2009

The $30 Haircut!

I know what you're thinking. What's so bad about a 30 dollar haircut eh? That sounds sooo reasonable in fact. Well you would be right, it would have been perfectly acceptable....HAD I CUT MY HAIR. The truth is, ..... my BOYFRIEND got a $30 haircut. That's right! 30 DOLLARS for a men's haircut. And you know what's the worst part? I HAD TO PAY FOR IT!!!

To better illustrate this highly irritable story, one thing must be said. I come from a household of men(my dad and younger brother) that pay no more, I mean NO MORE than $8 per haircut. And that's only when the salon that charges $5 is closed! So you can imagine the absurdity of paying thirty hard earned dollars for a simple haircut, and that too especially for my boyfriend's hair. URGH!

You know what's the turning point of this story is (if I can call it that)? I AM the guilty perpetrator. Because it was me, ME, MEEEE that gently coerced him into going to a high end salon to get his haircut this month! If you want to know....., it was just not any ordinary monthly haircut. He needed his hair cut for his sister's wedding, so this makes it more justifiable I suppose. There is more to it however....

I outrightly hate my boyfriend's taste in hairstyle. He likes it short and combed down. He claims it's the "only" way to look professional at work. I like it long, and slicked back. The way I first met him!!! We have had countless arguments and petty bickerings solely on this difference. What irks me more is the fact that he absolutely and positively believes he looks better with short hair!!! Trust me, I know my men, and short hair does NOT suit YOU!!!!!!!! Sorry..., oops.....I meant short hair does not suit him. If you see my boyfriend, you'd immediately agree with me. He looks so much, infinitely, better in long, slicked back hair. Just to be sure, when I say long, I don't mean long enough for ponytail long. Oh no, I passed that stage in my life loooong time ago. I only want his hair long enough, so he can casually comb it back with ease.

Over the years we have slowly (and grudgingly) come to a compromise of sort. I get to decide how he cuts his hair (muhahahha), as long as it still remains "somewhat" professional enough for work. This has worked for quite some time now, but recently, mainly due to my negligence, he had been going alone to get his haircuts. And low and behold, of course his hair is cut short short! So I decided this time I will not pass on an opportunity to excercise my right over his hair. That's why I suggested, yes I SUGGESTED that we try a different salon this time, one that has someone that can speak English preferrably. So we drove down to Markville Mall and went to a salon there. There Niroshan came with the bright idea that I should pay for this haircut, since it was I that "cared" so much. Fair enough. Atleast he trusted me. So that's why I paid.

Was it worth it for the $30? Hmmm....no not really. The lady still cut his hair, which meant it is still shorter than what he had walked in with. But was it better than his combed down, school boy look? OH Yes, most definitely. She cut it in a way that when his hair grows now, he can just slick it back and not have to worry about his fade growing out too fast. I hope this sets the standard for all future haircuts, but of course minuse the $30.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just spent an amusing 30 mins browsing through your blogs!thank you for that:).hehehe..

shalini murugiah said...

Thank you for stopping by Sukirtha!!!