Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Break Up of a Dear Friendship!

Question! How many of you are still best friends with your best friend from elementary school? Changes are that with the hustle and bustle of life, that dear old friend has managed to slip away from your life a long time ago. If you are lucky, maybe you are still friends. Not in the BFF kinda way. But friends who catch up once a while for coffee and conversation --- with no animosity hopefully.

I had my share of friendships over the 26 + years of my being. My very first and bestest friend that I can remember is a Tamil girl that I met in Germany at age six by the name Prashanti. My memories are vague here, but I remember going over to each other's house, watching movies, and playing doll houses. And I also remember, that the day before I left Germany to come to Canada she told me she will be either going to India or coming to Canada herself. That was 20 years ago. I haven't seen her since. I don’t even have a photograph of Prashanti. She lives in my memories now, which is really a shame because I doubt I will recognize her if she runs into me tomorrow! I also had another best friend from Germany. Her, I remember very well. Maybe I would have forgotten her too, but as small as this world likes to be, life brought us within the same circle again. We seperated after I left Germany (or after she left, not sure who did first), and Jousa! I meet her again in Canada and funny story is she is now best friends with a good friend of mine. But these are friendships of children. As meaningful, and delightful as they might have been they don't sweeten the bonds of friendship like those years of elementary school or highschool. Because here, during these years, you practically share your life day in and out with these few special people From your crushes, to your longings to your troubles --- you share your most sacred feelings and even secrets you swore you'd never tell. They were friends that were with you from early in the morning when school started or even before that while you walked to school together, till late into the evening when you'd meet them again for play time. It was a parallel world reserved for friends, where everything lasted forever and nothing had to end. You know, the time you thought twenty-year-olds were soooo damn old!


Coming Soon, ......

No comments: